What is Alcohol Abuse?
You’ve probably heard of “alcohol abuse,” "alcohol dependence,” or “alcoholism.” Maybe you know the new term doctors use, “alcohol use disorder.”
You may have an alcohol use disorder if you:
- Drink more, or longer, than you plan to
- Have tried to cut back or stop more than once and couldn’t
- Spend a lot of time drinking, being sick, or hungover
- Have problems with work, school, or family because of your habit (or because you're sick after having alcohol)
- Keep drinking even though it has caused problems for you or your relationships